How to Add Insurance Cards to Apple Wallet
It’s a safe bet to say that nowadays, a lot of our info is on our phones. Whether it’s looking over your checking account while waiting for a latte, getting a real-time alert from your credit card company while on vacation, or making a quick stock trade after a hot tip from your dentist (it could happen!), there’s a lot of convenience in having this information securely available on your phone.
Want to make adding your insurance to your Apple Wallet even simpler? Set up your free Marble account and create a Wallet card in just two taps! Scroll to the bottom of this post for step-by-step instructions.
So why then, when you need your insurance card at the doctor or after a fender bender, are most of us still scrambling through our pockets, wallets, or glove boxes, when we could be using apps like Apple Wallet or Marble, the first digital wallet made specifically for managing insurance policies (and earning rewards while you do it!)? Why do insurance companies want us to live like George Costanza?
This isn’t an exaggeration, by the way. While just 14% of Americans report that they still organize their household expenses on paper or in folders, that number jumps to nearly 50% when it comes to organizing household insurance.
So don’t worry — it’s not just you. People all over are dealing with insurance PDFs, cards, and paperwork, and wondering how they can get even a small piece of it organized on their phone by adding their insurance cards to their Apple Wallet. In this breakdown, we’ll explain how to add your insurance card to your Apple Wallet through a step-by-step process.
How to add insurance cards to your Apple Wallet
Do your insurance provider and state support digital insurance cards?
The first step is to check if both your insurance company and your state support digital ID cards.
As far as states go, pretty much every state allows for digital insurance IDs, with two exceptions: New Mexico and Massachusetts. So if your state bird is, uh, the Black-Capped Chickadee or the Greater Roadrunner and you want to use digital IDs, then we recommend writing to your state legislator. (Also, cool birds!)
And in terms of insurance companies that offer digital insurance cards with Apple Wallet support: well, that list is growing every year. The best way to check is via your insurance carrier’s website, but a few that we know offer Apple Wallet support are Aetna, Anthem, Allstate, BlueCross, Farmers, GEICO, Progressive, State Farm, and USAA.
Marble Pro-Tip: If you’re looking for an easy and rewarding way to organize all of your insurance, Marble members can simply and securely combine all of their insurance policies into one free account, and you'll earn rewards for doing it. Our mobile app includes ID card management, alongside lots of other great tools for getting the most out of all of your insurance.
Download your digital insurance card(s)
Okay so now that you’ve confirmed your state, state bird, and insurance company, it’s time to get that digital insurance card.
- Download your insurance company's mobile app and sign in using your policy number, last name, and any other required information. If you’ve already made an online account with your insurance company — maybe to pay a bill or something like that — you should be able to log in to the mobile app using this same username and password.
- Next, navigate to the section of the app that says something like “Digital Cards” or “ID Cards.” This may be different depending on your carrier, but you’re going to want to look for the word “card” or “ID.”
Add your insurance card(s) to your Apple Wallet
- Once you’re in the ID card section of your insurance company’s mobile app, you should be on the lookout for a button that says “Add to Apple Wallet.” It’ll look like this:
- Tap that button and you should see a preview of what this digital insurance card will look like in your Apple Wallet. If everything looks good (which is to say: the info is correct and up to date), then click the button in the top right that says “Add.” This will add this digital card to your Apple Wallet.
There you have it! Just go ahead and repeat this process for each insurance card you want to add, and also make sure to update the card whenever you renew or change your insurance.
Add any insurance card to your Apple Wallet via Marble
Don’t want to worry about those steps? We recommend joining Marble for free! With Marble you can securely combine all your policies into one simple account, earn rewards for insurance, shop for a better rate, and easily add your insurance to your Apple Wallet in just a few taps.
- If you haven't already, download the Marble mobile app (it's got 5 stars!) and log in with your Marble username and password.
- Securely sync your insurance policies to your Marble account in just a few seconds.
- Next, tap any insurance policy that is synced to your wallet, and then tap "Add to Apple Wallet." And that's it — you're done!